Leading the way for over 40 years
When it comes to high quality and standard rigid flex circuit boards, Mer-Mar Electronics with its rich experience of over 40 years, has emerged as a one-stop provider. Armed with state-of-the-art equipment and with experienced personnel, you can rely on Mer-Mar Electronics for all your PCB requirements, no matter how complex. With quick turn rigid flex PCBs, you can rest assured that your go-to-market plans are expedited.
Whether you are looking for rigid, flexible or rigid flex circuit boards, your search ends at Mer-Mar Electronics. Rigid flex printed circuit boards particularly offer a significant advantage as they use a combination of flexible and rigid board technologies. Rigid flex boards typically consist of several layers of flexible substrates attached to rigid boards. These of course come with several design challenges as the boards are designed in a 3D space. This enables the board to achieve the desired shape in the final application. The boards work particularly well where space is of constraint.
The many benefits of rigid flex printed circuit boards include:
- Portability on account of the reduced package space and flexibility afforded by the boards.
- Ruggedness on account of use of a flexible substrate. Such PCBs are known to withstand high temperature, electronic magnetic transmission, high vibration environments and more.
- Ease of testing, hence they find wide application particularly as prototypes.
- Reliability on account of reduced number of solder joints.
- Fit for use in high-density applications.
- Secure connection with the assurance of polarity and contact stability.
- Simplified installation and maintenance of uniform electrical characteristics.
- Reduced cost.
Fulfill your Requirements with our
Rigid Flex Circuit Board Fabrication Service
Superior Manufacturing Facility – Our state-of-the art manufacturing facility and an expert team ensure that the rigid flex circuit boards are manufactured to precision and the project is delivered seamlessly.
Adherence to industry standards – Our manufacturing processes follow stringent IPC guidelines and ensure that what you have is a reliable product that works in harsh environmental conditions.
Prototype quantities and large production runs – You can reach out to us for all your volume requirements. Whether your requirement is for prototypes or large runs, you will get the same unstinting attention to quality.
Quick Turnaround Time – Count on us to offer you the highest quality rigid flex boards with quick turnaround time that works well with your go-to-market plans.
Rigid Flex Circuit Board Services
Early in the rigid flex PCB manufacturing process, it is essential to work through the PCB design requirements to ensure reliability. Some of the design guidelines followed by our experienced personnel include:
- Define the rigid to flex transition areas.
- Making the right choice of material based on bespoke requirements.
- Having additional layers in the Gerber files relating to artwork layers that define the cover layer and bond ply sections.
The big advantage of partnering with Mer-Mar Electronics is the fact that no matter what your requirement, you can count on us to provide the necessary solution. Whether you are looking for single-sided rigid flex circuit boards, double sided rigid flex PCBs, multilayer boards, large panel rigid flex boards, boards with microvias, blind/buried vias, and more, our experts are well-equipped to offer them to you.
Rigid Flex PCB Repair & Rework
If you are dealing with ripped or cut flex material, heat damaged pads, damaged conductors, or more, you need the services of skilled professionals and the right equipment for making the precision cuts and more. At Mer-Mar Electronics, we are known for our meticulous repair and rework services. Whether you need repairing of ripped or cut flex material or circuit repair, we have you covered.
Our rigid flex board manufacturing follows the following meticulous processes:
Preparation and cleaning of the base material
This step involves a thorough cleaning of the laminates for the rigid flex board. It is important that the laminates consisting of copper layers be scrubbed carefully. This is important as the copper layer typically contains adhesive coating. The copper layer is therefore immersed in an acid solution. The copper coil is next treated with sodium persulphate solution. Finally, the coil is coated with an oxidant.
Generation of circuit pattern
Generation of circuit patterns can be done in two ways:
- Screen Printing- A hugely popular method, it produces the desired circuit patterns on the surface of the laminate
- Photographic imaging- In this method the dry photoresist film containing the desired circuit pattern is placed close to the laminate. It is then exposed to ultraviolet light. The circuit pattern is then transferred from the photomask to the laminate.
Etching the copper laminate
The laminate is immersed in an etching bath. Alternately you can also spray it with an etchant solution. It is also required to engrave both sides of the copper laminate.
This step involves drilling holes, vias and pads as per the bespoke requirements.
Post drilling to the required specifications, this stage involves depositing copper in the holes and then plating them. It is recommended that the thickness of the plated layer of the through-hole of the rigid board is not less than one million miles.
Protecting the PCB with a cover layer
It is important to protect the rigid-flex PCB with a cover layer to ensure that it is protected from harsh chemicals, inclement weather conditions and more. Typically, a polyimide film is used to cover the PCB.
Cutting of rigid-flex board
This step requires a lot of precision and finesse. For high volume rigid-flex boards, hydraulic punching and mold setting methods are used.
Electrical testing and verification
The final step involves testing of the board. Stringent electrical tests ensure quality and performance of the board. Flying probe and grid testing methods are used by us to ensure the board works as per the specifications. In addition, we also model moisture, heat, shock and more to ensure that the board works well in the environment to which it will be exposed.
Rigid Flex Circuit Board Capabilities
We offer rigid flexible printed circuit boards with the following specifications:
|Layer Count||2 – 10 Layers|
|Copper Thickness||9 µm, 12 µm, 18 µm, 35 µm|
|Min. Line / Spacing||125 µm / 125 µm|
|Smallest Drill||0.28 mm|
|Surfaces||Immersion Ni/Au, OSP, Plated Ni/Au, Immersion Tin|
|Stiffener Material||FR4, Steel, Aluminum|
|Min. Annular Ring||150 µm|
|Min. Solder mask Dam||100 µm|
|Drill to copper – Outer layers||8 mil|
|Drill to copper – Inner layers||10 mil|
|Minimum Pitch||0.5 mm|
|Copper Thickness||0.5 oz. – 4 oz.|
|Copper to Board Edge||0.007″|
|Minimum Hole Size||0.004″|
On account of their unique characteristics and benefits that they offer, Rigid Circuit Boards find application in a wide variety of industries:
- Medical – In the medical industry rigid flex boards find application in pacemakers, handheld monitors, imaging equipment, wireless controllers and more.
- Military – The presence of rigid flex boards is ubiquitous in communication systems, GPS, missile launch detectors, surveillance systems and more.
- Aerospace – The application of rigid flex PCB boards is found in radar equipment, control tower systems, sensors, climate test chambers and more.
- Telecommunication- Rigid flex PCBs see wide application in handheld units, wireless communication systems, signal processing systems, etc.
- Consumer appliances – Rigid flex PCBs find use in remote controls, lighting systems, water purifiers, irons, among others.
- IPC-A-610 Class 2 or 3
- IPC-7711 class 2 or 3
- ISO 9001:2015
- ISO 13485:2016
- UL standards
- RoHS compliant
- ITAR certified
Are you looking for rigid PCBs, flexible PCBs or rigid flex printed circuit boards or any custom PCB fabrication for your Next project? Send us inquiry to Get a Quick Quote based on your custom requirements.
If you have any queries regarding to our rigid flex circuit boards or need an urgent assistance, then please don’t hesitate to contact our team of skilled personnel’s. Send us an email with your queries at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (760) 244-6149. We are looking forward to hearing from you.